To prepare for this Discussion:
- Review the Declaration of Independence in this week’s Learning Resources. Focus on the democratic principles outlined in the document.
- Review the transcript of the Constitution of the United States in this week’s Learning Resources. Consider the relationship between the principles summarized in the Constitution and those detailed in the Declaration of Independence.
- Review the article “Magna Carta and Its American Legacy” in this week’s Learning Resources. Think about how the Magna Carta influenced concepts and principles in founding documents of democracy.
- Peruse the Supreme Court of the United States website and review arguments for current cases.
- Select a democratic concept or principle that is represented in the Declaration of Independence and/or the Constitution.
- Think about where and how your selection appears in the Declaration of Independence or the Constitution, and how it might be used by a Supreme Court justice in a Supreme Court case. If you live outside the United States, how do you think this democratic principle might affect the court system in your country?
With these thoughts in mind:
By Day 4
Post an analysis of the democratic concept or principle represented in the Declaration of Independence and/or the Constitution you selected for this Discussion and an explanation of why you selected it.Explain how the concept or principle might be used by a Supreme Court justice in a modern-day Supreme Court case to adjudicate a current conflict.
Be sure to support your postings and responses with specific references to the Learning Resources