Graphic text is how civilization first started recording history. The visual literacy for each culture, and generation, is unique. What might be a symbol of joy for one culture can be a symbol of destruction for another. For your Part 1, describe what you read and what you think the graphic text meant.
The reading assignments for this unit are:
- ENGL 1404 Unit 8 – Visual Literacy.
Also, you need to pick ONE of the following:
- I Can’t Stop Thinking (any of the 6) by Scott McCloud (http://www.scottmccloud.com/1-webcomics/icst/index.html)
- Mantis Shrimp by The Oatmeal (http://theoatmeal.com/comics/mantis_shrimp)
- Sandcastles by Jackie Schill and Joseph Szewczyk PDF
- Stanely by Lorna Scobie (http://lornascobieillustration.blogspot.ca/2010/10/stanley-graphic-novel.html)
- Peanuts (any from the collection) by Charles M Shulz (http://www.peanuts.com/comics/)
- Choose Your Own Ending by Drew Weing (http://www.drewweing.com/puppages/05pup.html)
- Girls with Slingshots (any from the collection) by Danielle Corsetto (http://www.girlswithslingshots.com/comic/gws1/)
- Dreamless by Sarah Ellerton and Bobby Crosby (http://dreamless.keenspot.com/d/20090105.html)
- Celephais (all 14 pages) by Jason Thompson (http://mockman.com/2011/03/21/celephais-page-1/)
- Girl Genius (any of the pages) by Kaja and Phil Foglio with Cheyenne Wright (http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php)