Numerous controversial treatments are promoted for individuals diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder. Almost all behavior analysts agree that these treatments lack sufficient empirical support. These treatments include facilitated communication, sensory integration, hyperbaric oxygen chambers, elimination diets, chelation therapy, Floortime, and more. Conduct a Web search for information on either facilitated communication or sensory integration (or treatment for sensory integration disorder). Also research the treatment in the Journal of Applied Behavior Analysis or other professional applied behavior analysis (ABA) journals.
- Identify at least one pro statement that supports the use of the treatment. These may come from “experts,” therapists, parents, or others. Also, identify at least one con statement that opposes or refutes the treatment.
- Summarize these statements and evaluate your findings. Discuss at least three relevant elements of the code that you have learned in this course thus far.
- In your conclusion, explain how you would discuss the importance of using evidence-based strategies with colleagues and the families with whom you work.
Other Assignment Requirements
- Written communication: Should be free of errors that detract from the overall message.
- APA formatting: References and citations are formatted according to current APA style guidelines.
- Resources: At least 2–4 recent scholarly resources.
- Length: 3–4 double-spaced pages, in addition to a title page and a references page.
- Font and font size: Times New Roman, 12-point.
- Turnitin: You are required to use Turnitin before submitting the completed assignment to your instructor. Submit your work to Turnitin as a draft, review the results, and make any needed changes. When you are ready, submit your assignment using the Turnitin link for the assessment and to the assignment area for grading.
**** Additional Information****
1. The treatment topic that this paper will be on is facilitated communication.
2. The relevant ethics codes that should be discussed in this paper are:
a) Reliance on Scientific Knowledge (1.01)
-Must use evidence based practice
b) Boundaries of Competence (1.02)
-Only provide services within your knowledge boundaries
c) Integrity (1.04)
3. The headings that are to be used for this paper are:
-Pros to treatment
-Cons to treatment
-Opinion and related ethics code elements
-Communicating the importance of evidence-based strategies